header_thumb PLUMBING ONLINE


It is a common misconception that a plumber, gasfitter or drainlayer trained in one country can move to another and pick up where he/she left off. This is not necessarily so. Therefore it is important for any tradesperson with overseas qualifications who wants to work in New Zealand to first check with the Plumbers Gasfitters and Drainlayers Registration Board.

New Zealand and Australia have a reciprocity agreement under the Trans-Tasman Recognition Act 1997, which ". . . provides for mutual recognition of equivalent registration and a streamlined registration process . . .", and outlines the process required to achieve this recognition.

The Plumbers, Gasfitters, and Drainlayers Act 2006 also provides for the registration of overseas-trained tradespeople under certain conditions. In most circumstances overseas-trained persons will be required to undergo a written examination and a practical test of their workmanship to ensure their knowledge and skills align with locally trained tradespeople.

Information on recognition of overseas qualification can be found on the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Registration Board website.

Back to top